Friday, April 15, 2011

Fanshawe Success


Yesterday I got a chance to meet with the graduating class of Fanshawe College's Autism and Behavioural Science program, designed to create trained staff for working with children with autism in IBI/ABA and school programs.

I was very pleased with the turnout and the interest.  Many of the graduates had a strong desire to work privately with families but had no idea where to begin.  I am hoping the information we gave them was helpful in getting them to a place where they can launch successful careers and help lots of parents and kids in the process.

The reality is that there is still a shortage of trained therapists and still not a good way to connect families who need help with people who can help them.  Even for families who elect to receive services directly from the local autism provider in Ontario, such as Thames Valley Children's Centre, there are still many parents waiting or ineligible for the Autism Intervention Program.  I hope that through this we can get more therapists together with parents who need them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about some broken links on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete